Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:32:55 +1100
From:      Carey Nairn <C.Nairn@dpac.tas.gov.au>
To:        "Salvatore Riccio" <svrmsn@email.msn.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't login using nis (yp)

This sounds like the same problem I am having and have posted to the
-questions list about.  As yet I have had no reply, but the server I am
trying to authenticate with is a FreeBSD-2.0.5 machine.  All other yp
functions (ypcat, ypbind, ypwhich...) seem to work OK.

If you get anywhere with this i would appreciate any info you have.
Likewise, if I have a breakthrough I will let you know.

cheers,
Carey Nairn

At 23:07 24/03/98 -0500, Salvatore Riccio wrote:
>I've installed freebsd 2.2.5-RELEASE and enabled ypbind in rc.conf. A "ps"
>shows
>that the process is running. I issue the command:
>
>ypcat passwd | grep <user>
>
>which shows that the freebsd system queries the yp server which return the
>user
>information. The /etc/passwd file on the freebsd system  was edited to
>include the in the last line
>+:*:0:0::::::
>to add  to this file the yp servers password maps.
>
>When I login in as this user my password gets rejected, yet other systems on
>the
>network login in correctly. The exact message is
>
>login incorrect
>
>Help would be appreciated, Thank you
>S. Riccio, svrmsn@msn.com

Carey Nairn              		Mailto:C.Nairn@dpac.tas.gov.au
Information Systems Branch           	Phone:  (03) 6233 3077
Dept of Premier & Cabinet              	Fax:    (03) 6224 3174
GPO Box 123b Hobart, Tasmania 7001
AUSTRALIA