Date:      17 Mar 2001 11:42:52 +0100
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>, "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More BETA evilness Re: BETA induced nervousness

>>>>> "Alfred" == Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:

 Alfred> My current solution is instead of -BETA have -STABLE-RC, the
 Alfred> '-RC' is there to give knowledgeable people a heads-up and the
 Alfred> '-STABLE' is prominent enough to reduce the amount of concern.

Don't you think that the same question will appear again & again "I'm
tracking STABLE, what the h... is STABLE-RC", it probably won't be as
frequent as with the BETA tag, but IMHO it will last.

The real problem with the BETA tag is that we meet more and more users
that cvsup their installs without really understanding what they're
doing, <irony> It's soooo harassing to read the manuals </irony>.

It would be interesting to post an expunged version of the faq on cubfm
as already stated, and in -questions as well on a regular basis.

A technical answer to a human problem has never been the best one you
can find, but I'll try anyway.

What about a selective access to cvsup while release cycle, (whether
it's controlled from cvsup servers or make.conf has no interest here),
is this way interesting enough ?

Eric Masson
--
 A noter que si on a installé Macsbug, on peut avoir accès à une fenêtre
 bien plus grande, bourrée d'information passionnantes, en couleur et