Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:56:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@london.virgin.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

Yeah... it took me ages before I could get those working though...  the
AlphaBIOS doesn't seem to like the files in that directory.  You do need
to get the older .rom file and flash that with fwupdate.exe.

Once you've got SRM on the machine, you can upgrade to the newer release
by booting from a floppy which was made from burning the .exe file in the
alphapc164sx/lx directory with the mkboot.exe tool in
pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/utilities.

Does anyone know if it's possible to flash the newer firmware file
directly from AlphaBIOS?  DEC's documentation seems a bit lacking here.

On a similar note, DEC Unix 4.0d won't install on a 164SX - is it supposed
to?

Scot.

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Joerg Czeranski wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote:
> > There is an SRM for the 164LX.  I don't think its available in the newer
> > firmware releases but I have a copy from around v5.0.  There isn't enough
> > flash space to have both SRM and AlphaBIOS loaded at the same time, so
> > switching is painful.  Apart from that it works quite well.
>
> It's also available in the current firmware release (was an SRM firmware
> ever dropped from newer firmware releases?), e.g. on Gatekeeper:
>
> ftp.digital.com:/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/v5.3/alphapc164lx
>
> joerch

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

Scot Elliott	                                Mobile: +44 (0)7050 126045
Work:   scot@london.virgin.net		                +44 (0)171 479 4482
Play:   scot@poptart.org, scot@indiekid.co.uk, s@cx     +44 (0)181 896 1019