Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 13:36:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Hristo Grigorov <hristo@bg.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange 'uptime'

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Hristo Grigorov wrote:

> Hmm, sorry but any1 got an idea why 'uptime' do that:
>
> nic:~> uptime
> uptime: /dev//.0: No such file or directory
>  2:38PM  up 3 days, 21:10, 4 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.08, 0.08
>
> same also for 'w'

I had that happen to me yesterday on my box here at home.  NO idea
why, though I did also notice dmesg reported my CPU was running at
approximately half the clockrate it was supposed to (which would also
explain why the clock ran about twice as fast as it should have).  A
reboot fixed the problem, and it hasn't happened again.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."