Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:15:40 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Chip" <chip@wiegand.org>, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "Boris Stoev" <darko@uni-svishtov.bg>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Directory path

** > > Maybe my question is stupid but...
** > > How can I make bash prompt  to display my current directory path...
** > > I use FreeBSD 3.4
** >
**
** Doesn't the comand pwd show the currant path?
** It does for me.

Yes... that works fine.  But, some of us like to see that information at all
times.  Myself, for example, often have many sessions open, and find it very
easy to get lost.  I've used the following for my prompt for about 2 years
now:

5 [08:13:21] st@buggy:~
$ cd /etc

6 [08:13:45] st@buggy:/etc
$ grep PS1 profile
PS1="\n\# [\t] \u@\h:\w\n\\$ " ; export PS1

You can see the results.  My prompt answers all the basic questions:  who,
what, where, and when.  The only thing missing, is a how and a why :)

-Troy