Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:58:48 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd

> I have a script, /usr/local/bin/pppgo, which dials my ISP via pppd.
> Everything works except one thing.  When the line drops (the ISP
> kills the line), ip-down runs, just as ip-up ran when connection
> was first made.  It attempts to "route delete $IP" and the like,
> but always gets:
>
> route: must be root to alter routing table: Permission denied
>
> even though TFM tells me that ip-down is run as root!  After all,
> pppd is setuid root.
> Any ideas?
[.....]

Well, with ppp, any shell commands in the config files are run as the
user that invoked ppp rather than as God.  I would think pppd is the
same.  Without this "feature", anyone can create their own config
files or run ppp interactively and do what they want.

I don't think you can create your own pppd config files, but you can
pass what you want to connect/disconnect on the command line.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;