Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:55:25 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bind setup

I want to set up my own nameserver, but have a couple of minor questions.

1. Most of the examples (including the bind8 docs that the port
installed) show the named directory being set up under /var, as
/var/named. One tutorial even expressly stated this was recommended by
a guideline on Linux filesystems. The port (and the original FreeBSD
3.2-RELEASE installation) put it into /etc/namedb. The other examples
say that bind is supposed, by default, to read its configuration info
from /etc/named.conf, but under FreeBSD the default is
/etc/namedb/named.conf. So my question is, does this matter? Does
anybody happen to know *why* FreeBSD (and presumably BSD before it) put
it under /etc/namedb and not /var/named? Or wasn't there any particular
reason?

2. Does anybody know of any web site that gives examples of named files
that are fully compliant with the bind8 recommendations (they seem to
be backwardly compatible with bind4, but *recommend* some quite
different things). I've tried all the sites that I've found through
search engines, but most of them seem to be quite old. I haven't found
one yet that followed the same format as the bind8 docs, but I can't
quite puzzle out exactly what the bind8 docs *mean*!

I know the files I have on hand, legacy from the sysadmin before me,
will work, but I fret that they're not compliant with some standard.
--
Roger

The best thing about growing old
is it takes so long.