Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:39:08 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Kristian Vaaf <vaaf@broadpark.no>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Haven't been able to make world in about a year

Kristian Vaaf wrote:

>  I don't know what's wrong. But all my makes error out. I've tried
>  over and over again. And sent about a dozen e-mails to this list.
>
>  http://www.home.no/hedhnta/result.txt

This is my supposition.  There have been many messages to this list
which clearly say that advanced gcc options (like advanced optmisations)
are a bad idea for CFLAGS defaults in make.conf because they can prevent
world/kernel from rebuilding properly.  So, playing spot-the-difference
between your compile line which fails, and my last one which succeeded...

Yours:
cc -E -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I. -I/usr/src/bin/csh
-I/usr/src/bin/csh/../../contrib/tcsh -D_PATH_TCSHELL='"/bin/csh"'...
Mine:
cc -E -O -pipe -I. -I/usr/src/bin/csh
-I/usr/src/bin/csh/../../contrib/tcsh -D_PATH_TCSHELL='"/bin/csh"'...

You'll see that your has -O2 and -fno-strict-aliasing while mine has
just -O. So the first thing I would do is to try fixing CFLAGS in
make.conf to get rid of "-fno-strict-aliasing" and change "-O2" to
"-O".  I can't say whether one, both or neither is actually wrong, but
mine worked and yours didn't, so at least one of them is a good
potential source for the problem.

Let us know if it helps.  Someone out there undoubdetdly knows which
options are safe to add here, and may even be able to say where they are
documented.

--Alex

PS You neglected to mention which version of FreeBSD you were running.
My compile line is from 5.4.