Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 06:13:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        oppermann@pipeline.ch (Andre Oppermann)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF problems to occur

Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Yea. It should be relative easy to install (no NetBSD or tape or
> whatever kludges, the best would be a floppy like on i386).

bootp, CD or perhaps a floppy.

> Snapshot is fine. How far is the port? (I used to follow the cvs-sys
> mails once a week, but the archiver on ftp.freebsd.org isn't working
> anymore).
>
> Are there any pitfalls on FreeBSD/Alpha or what does not work / or is
> completely different than on i386?

FreeBSD/Alpha is built from the same sources as i386 and it uses the same
build tools (elf). Device support needs testing on a variety of
hardware. Ditto for all sorts of applications in the tree that build
but nobody has tested thoroughly. People should _not_ expect a production
class release since this is the first one.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137