Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:00:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16044: cyrus-sasl-1.5.13 build dies without Kerberos 4 & 5

The following reply was made to PR ports/16044; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To: <patl@phoenix.volant.org>, <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:52:08 -0600

 From: <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
 > The cyrus-sasl port will not build unless both Kerberos 4 and 5
 > are installed; but neither is listed as a dependancy.

 When I tested this port, I didn't have Kerberos 4 or 5 installed on my
 system and it compiled without them.

 > Support for both krb4 and GSSAPI is enabled by default in the
 > Cyrus-SASL configure script.  The port Makefile handles the case
 > where KRB5_HOME is set to a non-default location; but not the
 > case where it isn't installed at all, nor the case where Kerberos
 > 4 isn't installed.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > >Fix:
 > The Makefile should either contain appropriate DEPENDS values to
 > ensure Kerberos installation; or should check for the presence of
 > each version of Kerberos and add the required --disable flags to
 > CONFIGURE_ARGS if Kerberos is not found.

 The cyrus-sasl configure script handles the case if kerberos 4 and/or 5 is
 not available on the system.

 #cd /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl
 #make configure
 :
 :
 checking CRAM-MD5... enabled
 checking SCRAM-MD5... disabled
 checking for des_pcbc_encrypt in -ldes... yes
 checking DIGEST-MD5... enabled
 checking for res_search in -lresolv... no
 checking for krb.h... no
 configure: warning: No Kerberos V4 found
 checking KERBEROS_V4... disabled
 checking for gssapi.h... no
 checking for gssapi/gssapi.h... no
 configure: warning: Disabling GSSAPI
 checking GSSAPI... disabled
 checking ANONYMOUS... enabled
 checking PLAIN... enabled
 checking for rc4_init in -lrc4... no
 checking for RSAPublicEncrypt in -lrsaref... yes
 checking for RC4_set_key in -lcrypto... yes
 checking for openssl/rc4.h... yes
 checking rc4 support... openssl

 # ls /usr/lib/libk*
 /usr/lib/libkeycap.a    /usr/lib/libkvm.a       /usr/lib/libkvm.so
 /usr/lib/libkvm.so.2

 The libraries built with no problems without kerberos 4/5 installed (besides
 the compiler warnings in pwcheck.c & checkpw.c).

 Scot