Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:09:13 +0200
From:      Holger Wolff <rayek@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IrDA

Hi

I tried to find a solution about this in the FAQ, but either I'm too
blind or else it isn't mentioned there - no matter what, I'm asking here
hoping this to be the right place.

I've got an Asus L2400D Notebook (all hardware data I know of is shown
at http://notebook.asuscom.de/serien/l2d/daten.html )
whith an AMD mobile Athlon 1200 MHz Prozessor. I'd like to access my
Siemens Sl42i mobile phone via the infrared port under FreeBSD
(4.6-RELEASE), especially to set up internet access (the phone has an
internal modem).

There are several ports concerning irda (especially comms/birda), but
whenever I try to access the infrared port with ircomm, I get an
error-message like 'Cannot default the port!'.

I tried to build my own kernel - well, I did build it and it works well,
but still it doesn't support infrared communication (or some other
things like ACPI or the winmodem). Actually, I didn't even find an
infrared support even in the LINT configuration.

Is it possible that FreeBSD just doesn't support IrDA, although it does
  have an port for it (that then cannot be used) ?
Or are there external modules, and if: where can I get them ?

Are there any HOWTOs like there are for Linux ?

Thank you in advance

Holger Wolff