Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 2002 20:32:52 -0400
From:      Marty Landman <marty@face2interface.com>
To:        Lawrence Mayer dsg <Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to scroll through several screens of text ?

At 02:15 AM 6/4/02 +0200, Lawrence Mayer dsg wrote:

>When the screen output is finished, I hit "scroll lock" and use the arrow
>keys to go
>backward and read text that scrolled off screen.
>
>The problem with this method is that the screen output is often larger
>than the screen buffer, in which case I can't scroll back far enough to
>see the beginning

Hi Lawrence.

If you want to control output from a command so you can read it all then
pipe it through the 'more' command, e.g. 'ls |more'. Only the first
screen's worth of output will appear and by using the enter key you get one
additional line at a time, by using the space bar you'll get a full
screen's worth at a time.

man more |more

hth,
Marty