Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:37:45 -0700
From:      Nidal Khalil <nedmath@gmail.com>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-hackers Digest, Vol 588, Issue 1
References:  <mailman.7.1406030400.87390.freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org> <CADoY-6jDa-nD9w6jLUuUttjNgEbV0eJAu2Hm9AvFvAWm6Y9ASg@mail.gmail.com> <CADoY-6i5jytJswq9Ck3cir0YOLt62CKPdmMz=nSDCNQre6tGbg@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.GSO.1.10.1407222136380.21571@multics.mit.edu> <CADoY-6jy5khBRrkw8mw5fG1OnpvNYqf=-4YkkFhhR2zOb-pkdQ@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.GSO.1.10.1407231055190.21571@multics.mit.edu> <CADoY-6jAzwYx5H3JciReFv01W1eGd6phqDv-uLq7pEGiD%2B-gFQ@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.GSO.1.10.1407292022230.21571@multics.mit.edu> <CADoY-6g9%2BriVTFDu-p7FhQ=ogWWHhp9mF8EAh0v94oLJX3zqnA@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.GSO.1.10.1407301347080.21571@multics.mit.edu>

My kernel is compiled with -g as well. However I am loading a driver
module. That is compiled with -g but the modules will not load if it is not
stripped. it is using the objcopy found in bsd.kmod.mk. This is the reason
that bt or where shows the backtrace but not the local frame symbols.

On the gdb front
The gdb that came with the distro is 6.1.1 has two problems:
1- does not understand -k option
2- without -k it does not understand the vmcore file format. Is there a
utility that will convert a vmcore to a format that gdb understands.  Thanks

Nidal