Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2019 10:12:59 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>, "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: packaging a port that uses npm during build.

On 2019-10-28 04:17, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> I think I read once somewhere that there is also a "flag" that
> indicates that the port wants network access during the build. Is that
> feasible?

No, this isn't/shouldn't be possible.

Please look at how misc/netron is done. It pre-packages NPM modules into
a separate distfile.

CAVEAT: Please keep in mind that NodeJS downloads JS files from a
multitude of GitHub locations, which makes this technology fundamentally
insecure because any malicious  or otherwise harmful change in any of
the hundreds of projects would be automatically propagated into the
FreeBSD package and further to the users. For this reason NodeJS
software is less secure and for example RPM and Debian packages often
(or always) just don't include such software into their distributions.

misc/netron only has a few js files installed so it is okay. You can
also do the same with more complex projects, with the above caveat.

Best,

Yuri