Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:34:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Jason Cribbins <jasonc@concentric.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to get natd/ipfw to work properly

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> > > 	You must build IPDIVERT into the kernel
> > > 	manually as there is no klm for DIVERT and it is not part of
> > > 	ipfw.ko.  Or at least it wasn't before 4.4-R.

> > OK, then that would be a nice simple little thing for somebody to
> > contribute to /etc/rc.network. The script knows if it has to kldload
> > ipfw, and if it loaded from kld then is there any chance IPDIVERT
> > will work? If not, then a verbose warning would be nice if such were
> > attempted.

> There is nothing stopping someone from adding IPDIVERT to their
> ipfw.ko module. Edit src/sys/modules/ipfw/Makefile.

	Maybe it would be nice to have 2 ipfw klm's.  1 that has just the
	basic functionality (ipfw.ko) and a second module, say
	ipfw-plus.ko, that has IPDIVERT, Forwarding, etc.

	Then the rc scripts could load the appropriate one on boot.

	Just a thought.  I don't think it would be difficult to do, just a
	matter if people want it or not.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"