Date:      Sat, 4 May 1996 17:49:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        batsy@groovy.dreaming.org (jamie)
Cc:        brian@mail.vividnet.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird system security output

> I have had this happen and have rationalized it, but I'm not sure if it
> is a cause. I always thought that it was because of the sup process
> adding new files and updating current ones. If I'm dead wrong please
> correct me.

There IS a bug in -stable (might have been fixed recently) that modified
dates on executables can get modified during paging.  We just found a
very subtile bug in pmap.c (it might be in the asm statements or in the
register allocation associated with them), that appears to have been fixed
when we rewrote the code.  The bug that appears to have been fixed also
could have been manifested by changed modify dates.  This is a very very
tough one.

John