Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 02:04:17 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-hackers)
Cc:        un_x@anchorage.net (Steve Howe)
Subject:   Re: Borland 16bit bcc vs cc/gcc (float)

As Steve Howe wrote:

> what's non-standard about long double?

Nothing, i've been mistaken on this.

> they're standard ANSI C types ... ?  much of my software
> relies on this precision - i can't do 64 bit int-to-string-to-int
> conversions without them, ...

Well, but ANSI says nothing about the actual precision.  An
implementation is allowed to represent float/double/long double all
with 6 bytes, and would still be ANSI-compliant.  It's merely an
incident that most i386 implementations do long double as 80 bits,
since this is the i387 `native' format.

> ahhh! :)  everyone says this - but exit() never returns, so main
> never returns anything, so IMHO, main should always be type void.

No.  The compiler would even be allowed to throw your main() into the
bit-bucket if you declare it to be `void'.  And it's not too
hypothetical that some architecture might have different calling
conventions for functions returning int vs. functions returning void.
main() returns an int _by definition_, that's nothing you could
change.  OTOH, you aren't required to call exit() explicitly, it's
implicitly called by definition upon return from main() (and being
passed the return value from main()).

> please help me! :)

Read Bruce's followup.

--