Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:49:00 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
Subject:   sshd logging with private key authentication

Hi,

I've been seeing quite a bit of ssh bruteforce attacks which appear to
be dictionary-based.  That's fine; I have proper measures in place, such
as key-only access, bruteforce tables for pf(4), and so on.

What caught my interest is if I attempt to log in from a machine where I
do not have my key, I see nothing logged about a failed publickey
attempt.  If I attempt with an invalid username, as expected, I see
'Invalid user foo from ${IP}.'

Is this to be expected?  If so, I am curious why.  Though I realize an
attacker may not be able to see that a user is valid or invalid, might
we want to know that a valid username is being used in an attack?
(Unless, of course, the valid username is 'john'...)

Regards,

--
Glen Barber