Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:11:15 +0200 (MDT)
From:      Hans "Unicorn" Van de Looy <hvdl@sequent.com>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting bash bug - anyone else see this?

I have ported bash (version 1.12.1) to Sequent, running DYNIX/ptx 2.x (a
Symmetrical Multi Processor version of System V unix), and was unable to
get the results mentioned below...  What  version of bash are we talking
about?   It  might  have  something  to do  with  the  way  signals  are
handled...

----%<----%<----%<----%<---- SNIP ----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----

[hvdl @ amsqnt]:.../hvdl(339)> bash -version
bash -version
GNU bash, version 1.12.1
[hvdl @ amsqnt]:.../hvdl(340)> ls -lt | more

[1]+  Stopped                 ls -lt | less
[hvdl @ amsqnt]:.../hvdl(341)> fg
total 99082
-rw-------    1 hvdl     service  2059444 Apr 16 12:00 name1
-rw-------    1 hvdl     service   676451 Apr 16 11:11 name2

<< etc... >>

[hvdl @ amsqnt]:.../hvdl(342)>

----%<----%<----%<----%<---- SNIP ----%<----%<----%<----%<----%<----

It is said that Greg Lehey dared to write:
!
! > I just noticed it, myself.  It doesn't happen in sh or csh, so it's
! > definitely one for -bash and -current (if not also -stable; I dunno!).
! >
! > <go to a directory with many files in it>
! > root@reason-> ls -lt | more
! > ^Z
! > [2]+  Done                    ls -lt | more
! > root@reason-> fg
! > ls -lt | more
! > Broken pipe
! >
! > Bug #1: Upon suspending, bash erroneously reports the background job's status
! > 	as "Done", not "Suspended"
! >
! > Bug #2: Upon resuming, we're hosed - the pipe breaks.
! >
! > Note that this does NOT occur once ls actually starts filling the pipe,
! > then you can background and foreground it all day long and nothing bad
! > happens.
!
! FWIW, I've tried this on an SNI box (System V.4, R4400).  It does much
! the same thing, except that it needs a ^C to get a prompt after the
! ^Z.  Looks like it isn't a FreeBSD problem.
!
! Greg

--

Regards,

=============== TimeWasting on http://www.IAEhv.nl/users/hvdl ==============
     _ __,;;;/  Hans "Unicorn" van de Looy / Service Centre Manager  .-----.
  ,;( )_, )~\|  Rijnzathe 7a-2 ; 3554 PV De Meern ; The Netherlands  |   # |
 ;; //  `--;    GSM: +31 65 3261368    PGP: ED FE 42 22 95 44 25 D8  |     |
'  ;\   |       Buz: +31 65 7540981         BD F1 55 AA 04 12 44 54  `-----'
=============== Alternate email <hvdl@IAEhv.nl> or <hvdl@dse.nl> ===========