Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:28:10 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Invalidating pack messages

I have an issue here that is just about to make me start chewing carpet or
gnawing furniture in frustration.

We build our own BSD servers - always have. Pretty much always with the same
hardware.

The latest system I've built sporadically spews forth these messages on the
console with reckless abandon:

	(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
	(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
	(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
	(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack

Occasionally, I get interspersed with this things like:

	(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x29 - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0x9
	(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queuing a BDR SCB
	(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 35b

The system is custom built as follows:

Asus P3B-F motherboard (both BIOS revisions 1004 and 1005)
Adaptec 2940UW-Pro SCSI controller
1 Seagate 18Gb Baracuda drive
128Mb RAM
Celeron 466MHz CPU (no overclocking!)

I have swapped out, individually, one at a time, each component of the SCSI
subsystem - controller, cable, drive and terminator. I'm still getting the
error message.

I pulled off the 4.0-RELEASE install that was on it and went back to
3.4-RELEASE; same problem.

After looking through the archives, I thought the 'Invalidating pack' message
was a sure indicator of bad hardware/termination etc. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyone have some helpful suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick.