Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:03:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Code Red

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> Is there really a way to shut down these servers?  If so, I think I
> could find a way to hack my 404.php script to send that message
> automatically.  I'd have already set up an autorespond, but most of
> those machines are not running their own mailservice, so I just try to
> minimize the impact on my system.

Maybe someone could write a php/apache 'virus' that did the
same thing. Then you could claim that your machine must
have been infected (unknowingly, of course) by the
'anti Code Rede' worm.

Just think, millions of un*x servers dynamically shutting
down infected nt servers. Hmm.., what would be the sysadmins
complaint..."I have a right to infect you and can't
stop me!?" Or, my virus is allowed to infect your machine
but your virus is not allowed to infect my machine?

The possibilities are quite entertaining.

:)

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org