Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:06:11 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some new ports broken on 4.0REL

Robert Withrow wrote:

> nbm@mithrandr.moria.org said:
> :- He means: "Did you cvsup ports-base?"
>
> Answer: no.
>
> Question:  Where does it say that cvsup is the only "authorized" way to
> use the ports collection.
> Answer: No where.
>
> Please, all of you, go and read *your* web page.  I specifically direct your
> attention to this passage:

	This is a joke, right?  You're not honestly berating a group of volunteers
by quoting huge passages of the web page at us, are you?

>   "These are FreeBSD packages; please use pkg_add to install them.
>   That should enable you to use all the ports listed here."
>
> That words "should enable you to use all the ports listed here" seems like
> pretty plain English, doesn't it?

	Yes it is, and the word "should" clearly indicates that there are times
when you won't be able to. Do you even know what's happening in the ports
tree right now? Do you really think that you can just fool around updating
bits and pieces and accept no responsibility whatsoever for keeping up to
date with what's happening in the system? I realize that you'd like the
whole freebsd project to cater to your wants and desires, but that's just
not going to happen.

	We work to improve our online documentation on a continuous basis. If
there are specific areas that are unclear to you, we'd like to improve
that. But berating the people who will be making the changes won't get you
very far. If you don't have time to generate diffs, fine. Make specific,
constructive suggestions. Otherwise, quit your whining, we don't have time
for it.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.