Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 21:13:42 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports utilities?

Hi:

Is there any utility that will tell me if what ports are not up-to-date
after I cvsup the ports tree?  Oh yes, there is package-info but that only
tells me what ports are installed and their versions.

I have dozens of installed ports, but I only make sure that I am current on
a few.  I don't bother comparing all installed ports to the currently
available version in the ports tree.  I'd be surprise if there aren't others
who operate similarly.

It shouldn't be too difficult to write.
    Step through ports tree
    collect portname and version number
    sort
    get list of installed ports (from package-info)
    check installed ports vs. list from port tree

This could then be run everytime a ports tree is cvsup-ed.

In fact, the utility could add the ability to automagically update a port
for minor version changes (if a user had some kind of 'autoupdate' feature
turned on).  This may add *some* additional testing for port maintainers,
and would require a mechanism to set the port as 'non-autoupdating' but on
the whole it would make life that much easier for most people.

Additionally, an autoupdate directory or file could hold a description of
all autoupdates with lists of bug fixes/new features/etc. that were
implemented in the new minor version.

If such a utility doesn't exist I'd like to work on one.

John