Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:40:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Fellin <jkf@research.bell-labs.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Making a driver SMP-safe

I'm not sure this belongs here or in bsd-smp, so I'm dual posting it.

I have a question on what the actual interfaces, and if there are
any guidelines on how to convert a device driver that runs in a
UniProcessor environement to one that can run on concurrent CPU's
in a MultiProcessor environment.

Many of the archives talk about mutexes in general, but I haven't
seen a concise description of how a driver needs to deal with SMP
issues. I have written several SMP drivers using the POSIX and other
SMP mutex schemes, so I need to know the API's.

I have built my driver on an SMP kernel (STABLE) and it works,
at least to funky lock panics. So, I assume something was done to
prevent concurrent access to my driver in STABLE. I would like to
know what was done to protect the driver from executing concurrently.

Any pointers to documents or mail archive entries I may have missed
in my searches is appreciated.

	Jeff Fellin
	Bell Labs, Murray Hill NJ
	(908) 582-7673