Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2013 15:15:08 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hps@bitfrost.no>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [RFC] Should CUSE4BSD move to the FreeBSD source tree?

Hi,

The CUSE4BSD, character device in userspace, library and kernel module,
has become an extremely popular driver choice for supporting a whole lot
of USB devices under FreeBSD. There are now many clients using CUSE4BSD,
cx88, uhidd, webcamd, and someone even mailed me a python wrapper for
CUSE4BSD, so actually you can now implement a character device driver in
a high level scripting language!

When upgrading the kernel and stuff like that, it would be more easy for
people if CUSE4BSD was part of the kernel. Of course this puts more
restrictions on the API, and CUSE4BSD sometime has API additions. Also
that might mean that CUSE4BSD will go through some API changes, as input
from other FreeBSD developers. One change might be to change lengths
from "int" to "ssize_t" although, it is very unlikely to read more than
a few megabytes at a time from a character device.

Also I wonder if putting CUSE4BSD in src, means that it is then also
accepted as new *BSD standard?

Some other questions are: Where should CUSE4BSD reside in svn? Should it
have it's own vendor branch or simply just @ head + MFC to xxx-stable?

Input and comments are appreciated!

--HPS

Reference: