Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 13:40:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mbarkah@hemi.com (Ade Barkah)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

> [Joe Greco wrote]
>
> > Don't forget to do all the DOS commands too :-)  I've been doing this on
> > Solaria (SunOS 4.1) for years... [...]
> >
> > # cat /usr/local/bin/dir
> > echo "The UNIX command to list files is \"ls\". [...]
>
> Hmm, that's pretty interesting. I've been putting this sort of
> things in our users' default .cshrc/.profile, etc., from /skel:
>
>    alias  dir      ls -l
>    alias  copy     cp
>
> In other words, I'm `hiding' Unix from our DOS clients, but you're
> teaching them too. Maybe I'll switch to your method. =-)

Hiding it from them has the nasty habit of malfunctioning in most
unfortunate ways.  I'm not going to be silly and claim that my scripts work
anywhere near as well as I would like (command line switches, etc.), but
someone with some time and energy to spend could certainly do a nicer job.

Since Solaria's emphasis is on being a public access UNIX site, rather than
an ISP, the assumption I made was that most people on the system were
actually interested in learning UNIX.  :-)  That probably isn't the case
with your typical ISP.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968