Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:04:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC takeover

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> IIRC some time ago there was a vivid discussion about ability to
> change/set MAC address of Ethernet cards. I'm faced with similar problem
> right now: when building high-availability configuration it would be very
> handy to do MAC takeover instead of IP takeover. So, my questions follow:
>
> * which cards support it (that have FreeBSD drivers of course)?
>
> * is there some way to set it (I couldn't find any code in the ifconfig
> nor in the kernel)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrzej Bialecki

This is a bit off topic (not your post, but my reply), but
you could have the live and spare server have the same ip
on a loopback interface. This would avoid nasties with arp.
If the servers were participating in a routing protocol,
the routing protocol (can be done in BGP, OFPF or RIP)
would have to be configured such that the live server was
the preferred  route to the ip address on the loopback.
If the live server goes down, the backup server becomes the
only available gateway to the ip in question.

-

Barrett Richardson (my name)
barrett@aye.net    (my email address)
main(){}           (my program)