Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:11:08 -0700
From:      James Gritton <jamie@freebsd.org>
To:        jail@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>, cyril@freebsdfoundation.org
Subject:   Re: POSIX shared memory and dying jails

On 2021-06-26 08:13, Mark Johnston wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 08:08:31PM -0700, James Gritton wrote:
>> On 2021-06-25 09:58, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> Cyril ran into exactly this problem when adding racct support for POSIX
> shared memory.  In particular, we'd like to be able to limit the number
> and total size of POSIX shared memory objects belonging to a given
> jail.
>
> Aside from the problem of the leaked credential, the current behaviour
> of not destroying objects created in a jail makes accounting more
> complicated.  One possibility is to somehow re-home any shm objects
> that
> exist when the jail is destroyed, and transfer the accounting as well.

>> > Interesting - I was wondering how that worked, thanks. Would there by a
>> > way to cut that tie somehow (for use cases that deliberately want to
>> > leave the shared memory segment behind)?
>>
>> It might be possible to change vm_object's cred to one that has the
>> same uid/gid but is outside of the jail.  The big argument against
>> that is that I don't know enough about the VM subsystem to go poking
>> about there lightly.
>
> When we looked at this problem, it seemed the intent was for POSIX
> shared memory objects to behave like filesystem objects: jailed
> processes can create shm objects in the jail's filesystem namespace,
> and
> such objects are not removed when the jail goes away.  Moreover, jails
> sharing a filesystem root also share a POSIX shm namespace.
>
> I think the semantic of tying shm objects to the lifetime of the
> creator's jail is more natural, even though it diverges from the
> treatment of filesystem objects.  It also avoids the problem of having
> to figure out whether it's ok to switch the object's credential.

I prefer that one too.  It's cleaner in execution, and fits with the
idea of jails being vm-lite - when the jail goes away, so do the
ephemeral things it owns.

>>  From the user perspective, you can keep such objects with a little
>> planning ahead: always create them outside of the jail, though using
>> the jail's path in the name (which is how a non-jailed process would
>> refer to it anyway).  Then jailed processes can access the shared
>> memory, but won't own it.
>
> If a process in the host holds a jailed object open, and the jail is
> destroyed (unlinking the object from the jail's namespace), would the
> process' reference still cause the jail to linger in the dying state?

Yes, it would remain dying until all references to the object are
gone.  But I'm fine with that situation.  Even if it's for an
arbitrarily long time, it's not bad behavior unless dying jails are
just stuck with no reasonable chance of going away.

- Jamie