Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 09:03:45 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DPT driver fails and panics with Degraded Array

tcobb wrote:

> I have a DPT3344UW/2 running an external 24GB array.  OS is FreeBSD
> CURRENT circa 5/18/98.  I'm running the latest available firmware flash
> for the card, all on a P5-233MMX with 128MB RAM.
>
> Recently I lost a harddrive in my 24GB RAID5 array.  The array was
> configured with a HOT SPARE which should have allowed it to rebuild
> completely online, with no interruption in service (except some minor
> slowdowns, perhaps).  While the HARDWARE worked well, the DPT DRIVER
> failed miserably.

One comment (and it's not a flame!) - honestly... ;-)

With an array of that size, on a machine that important - did you not test
to see what would happen with a failed drive?

The only system we have running with RAID at the moment is an NT box on an
HP Netserver - but even with that, we pulled a drive to 'see what happened'
- and a) make sure it works, and b) note down any important steps to
recovering it...

We did this before we certified the machines as 24/7 & 'mission critical'
(It also shows that even with NT & 'expensive' hardware, theres always stuff
they leave out the manual, or have changed on screen, but not in the manual
;-)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz