Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:14:31 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.on.ca>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postgresql 7 port problems

Hi,

I'm just preparing a send-pr with a clean upgrade of the
postgres port to 7.0.2. Andreas, I'll get someone else to
commit it.

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 11:02:06PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > With NOPORTDOCS=true the port doesn't appear to compile.  It wants to patch
> > files from the .docs.tar.gz tarball, as well as install manpages (which I
> > believe
> > also come out of there).

yep, just noticed. my PR'll fix it

> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh requires a parameter of 'start' to fire it up.
> > Is
> > this normal?  I like the ability to stop it, etc. but running it without an
> > arguement should fire it up right?

yes, it's normal. nope, it need not fire up without an
argument. Check /etc/rc. Many startup scripts nowadays require
a "start" or a "stop", and I think it is a good thing, really.
E.g. adding stuff like "status" to the rc.d script is neat.

> > Also, as a side note it's not running with a socket by default?  configure
> > --help doesn't appear to have an option for this.  (Must be my configuration
> > somewhere, I hope).

It does run with -i -o "-F" by default, same as always. Check
patches/patch-bc and the startup script etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh.
Also, check the pg_ctl(1) man page about the
PGDATA/postmaster.opts.default file.

Cheers,
Palle