Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:38:00 -0500
From:      "Don Wilde" <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        stas@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inkscape

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 20:55 -0500, Don Wilde wrote:
> > Gentlemen -
> >
> > I've had problems getting inkscape to work for some time now.
> >
> > It appears that the port wants Hans Boehm's GC 6.4+, but the config
> checker
> > segfaults on FreeBSD 7-STABLE. My system has a newer Boehm collector, I
> > believe 7.0, installed. Inkscape repeatedly tries to install 6.8 and
> fails.
>
> The devel/boehm-gc port is only at version 6.8.  If you have 7.0, then
> you've installed something outside of ports which is not supported.  I
> recommend you clean up any boehm-gc bits on your system, then go
> to /usr/ports/devel/boehm-gc, and run make rmconfig.  Then install
> boehm-gc with a default config, and try out inkscape.
>
> To be clear, inkscape works fine for me (that I've been able to test) on
> RELENG_7.
>
> Joe

Joe, you hit the nail on the head, I think, but I'm having a problem
following your advice. I can't seem to delete the port. You're correct in
that I selected threading and redirect as options when installing boehm-gc,
but now it won't deinstall cleanly. make deinstall completes without
complaint, but

===>  Checking if devel/boehm-gc already installed
===>   An older version of devel/boehm-gc is already installed
(boehm-gc+threaded+redirect-6.8)

happens when I try to reinstall or make install. I've included the port
maintainer (stas@) in this thread, as I'd like to have some blessing from
smarter folks than I before I run FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes on something as
important as libgc.