Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:45:10 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@sns.com>
To:        Jack Patton <jpatton@intserv.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp.secret question & more..

At 10:06 PM 3/26/97 -0500, Jack Patton wrote:
>Also, I was wondering is there is an easy
>way to disable the diagnostic telnet-in port. I have been scouring the net
>for more than a week with no luck. I have read the manpages and handbook
>up and down and still cant get those two things. If someone could shed
>some light on these issues or point me to the definative document on this
>it would be *greatly* appreciated.

I'm not sure if this might adversely affect some system utilities, but you
could try commenting out the "telnetd" line of your /etc/inetd.conf file.
That would make the inetd server think you don't have the telnet daemon
program, so it would start up telnet, disabling logins.]

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@sns.com                        http://chipweb.home.ml.org
             http://www.sns.com/~ludwigp  <--^-- Updated 11/22/96
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page