Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:09:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        python@cia-g.com (Joel Yancey)
Cc:        alec@d2si.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and digital telephone circuit

Joel Yancey wrote:
> You Could Use FBSD as a Router, but it's limited, and also slower.
> You also might look into the Livingston Portmasters. There a Cheaper
> Alternative, and It will serve as a Router and a CSU/DSU.
> http://www.livingston.com
--SNIP--

Sure if I'm doing ATM or something of that nature FreeBSD falls flat on its
face.  But for a couple of ethernets and T-1s, it works JUST fine.  And you
can't beat the price just for 1 ethernet and 1 Syncserial connection.
Cost? About $700.00 for the sync serial card, $100.00 for a good ethernet
card and about $700.00 for a decent platform, $1500.00 total.
Sure it lacks features of the Cisco (e.g. decent SNMP control), BUT just
to get up and running in the least cost, it is perfect.

Huh?  Are you talking about a PM2-ER?  A base PM2 by itself is $2,495.00.
The PM-2-ER is $3,495.00!  This is way over the price of a Cisco 2501.
They have 2 "real" routers priced at $2,395.00 and 2,696.00.  The higher
priced one is the one that has the same type of hardware config as a 2501.

Plus you still need the CSU/DSU in the above examples. About $1000.00 for
T1 speeds.

Hope it helps,

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team