Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:39:01 +0530
From:      "N. Raghavendra" <raghu@mri.ernet.in>
To:        FreeBSD Question <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DHCP problem after upgrade [solved]

At 2010-09-23T11:17:48+05:30, N. Raghavendra wrote:

> I upgraded my system from 7.2-STABLE to 8.1-STABLE, and have done
> `mergemaster'.  Earlier the system used to get its IP address by
> DHCP at boot time without any problem.  After the upgrade, it is not
> doing so.  I have ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf.

After searching the Web and rc.conf(5), I came across the "SYNCDHCP"
value for the ifconfig_<interface> variable.  So, either setting
ifconfig_em0="SYNCDHCP", or leaving ifconfig_em0="DHCP" as it is and
setting synchronous_dhclient="YES" in rc.conf works, and the system
gets an IP address from the DHCP server at boot time.

Regards,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@mri.ernet.in> | http://www.retrotexts.net/