Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:22:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.ORG, tevans.uk@googlemail.com
Subject:   Re: i915 DRI broken after upgrade to 7.0-Release

Tom Evans wrote:
 > On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 18:15 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > My config is a lot simpler.  I don't have dual-screen,
 > > and I don't use a virtual screen (my window manager
 > > already provides unlimited virtual desktops, which I
 > > think is more convenient than xorg's virtual screens).
 > > My resolution is 1400 x 1050.  It did work fine with
 > > pretty much the same configuration before the update.
 >
 >         The advantage for me is that Virtual describes the total addressable
 > screen area. My laptop screen is 1400x1050, so this is all that is
 > configured in xorg. But by setting a larger Virtual, I can plug an
 > external monitor or projector into the VGA port, and enable it without

I don't need an external monitor or anything, I only need
DRI working.  It _did_ work before the update, so this
must be a regression case.

 > > I've compared your config with mine, but I don't see
 > > any significant difference.  It still doesn't work.
 > > I tried various bit depths, but it only changes the
 > > number in the error message, now it is 0x7d:
 > >
 > > libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x7d
 > >
 > > which is, according to xdpyinfo:
 > >
 > >     visual id:    0x7d
 > >     class:    TrueColor
 > >     depth:    32 planes
 > >     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
 > >     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
 > >     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
 > >

 > Yes, I also get this.

The same warning?  Then DRI doesn't work for you either.

Is there _anybody_ who has DRI working on RELENG_7 with
the intel driver and i915 graphics hardware?

I'm really starting to regret I updated this machine at all.
Another case of "never change a running system".  :-(

 > I've not noticed any problems related to this
 > warning, and I also have seen this for my nvidia based linux box. I just
 > assumed it is informational, and wouldn't cause any major problems (I
 > may well be wrong :)

Well, the problem is that 3D acceleration via DRI does not
work anymore.  libGL falls back to software rendering,
which is too slow for a critical piece of software that
I need to use on this machine (no, not a screensaver or
1st person shooter).

Best regards
   Oliver

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman