Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:00:19 -0500
From:      Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Peggy Wilkins <enlil65@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RELEASE and "dangerously dedicated" disks

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I'm going to just reply to all of these at once.
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:59:42AM -0500, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Peggy Wilkins <enlil65@gmail.com> wro=
te:

> Just to point out the obvious, you shouldn't use "dangerous" and
> "production" in the same sentence. :)

That depends on why "dangerous" was put into the name. In this case,
it's a flag to indicate that we should understand what's going on
underneath before using the feature in question.

>> I don't know why it would have an affect, but they say it does.
>

> Did you see all the mailing list chatter about new installations
> failing due to sysinstall not being able to newfs device names that
> didn't exist? This is related. Also, a partition table isn't just a
> partition table. It's a little more complex than that. It has
> *nothing* to do with the filesystems inside. It has everything to do
> with the way that FreeBSD looks at the drive to figure out what's on
> it. See man pages for geom/gpart. There are others that have given a
> better explanation than I can provide (marcus, juli). Search the
> archives. Trust me, I didn't remove DD support from sysinstall just to
> make life more complicated for everyone. I did this because as it
> stands right now, it doesn't work.

<snip>

> It's not a filesystem thing. See above.
>
> -- randi

I think this is where the misunderstanding is. Based on what you said,
the documentation should read "dangerously dedicated mode is no longer
supported in sysinstall," is that correct? If we don't use sysinstall
for anything, the change doesn't affect us.

The current wording leads people to believe that something was changed
in the FreeBSD geom internals that would, for example, prevent DD
disks from being recognized in 8.0. As I read geom(4), there is
nothing new in the tasting section about the way devices are offered
to geom classes.

- Max