Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 02:27:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig and libraries

> > Attempting to ldd the binary in question also resulted in an
> > FP exception, while on the binaries that ran, ldd ran fine.
> >
> > Installing the missing a.out shared libraries fixed both the ldd
> > problem and the execution problem.
> >
> > Looks like a nasty bug in the a.out compatability ld.so.
>
> Test case, please.

1)	Install an a.out FreeBSD.

2)	Install an a.out X Windows.

3)	Install fvwm95 in /usr/local/bin, and all it's dependencies
	into /usr/X11R6.

4)	Verify fvwm95 runs.

5)	Move the old /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6-aout.

6)	Upgrade FreeBSD to ELF using sysinstall so that you don't
	accidently rebuild fvwm95.

7)	Install the ELF X11R6.

8)	Reboot some time After step 5, if you haven't already, in
	order to flush out the ldconfig.

9)	Attempt to start X.

10)	Watch fvwm95 get "signal 8".

11)	Attempt to "ldd" fvwm95.

12)	Watch ldd get "signal 8".

13)	link the missing a.out shared libraries into /usr/X11R6's
	lib/aout directory from /usr/X11R6-aout's lib directory.

14)	Run ldconfig (or reboot).

15)	Attempt to  start X.

16)	See X work.

I have made some simplifications here; fvwm95 was actually installed
on an NFS server, but running against local shared libraries, so the
/usr/local/bin hack was to simulate an a.out programinstalled without
its dependent libraries.

If you have an a.out FreeBSD box with some a.out packages installed,
trying to run them via an NFS mount of that box from an ELF FreeBSD
box should give the same results, since it did on about 10 machines
here.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---