Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:58:16 -0500
From:      "David M. Heller" <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Scott Reese <sreese@codysbooks.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why won't my HP Scanner work with FreeBSD?

Scott Reese wrote:

> Thank you.  I did as you suggested and SANE has indeed installed successfully.
> However, I'm still in a bit of a bind as to how to actually install the device
> itself.  There is absolutely no documentation on this anywhere that I can see.  I'm
> now as far as trying to run xsane from Gimp and now I get the message "no devices
> available."  Would you happen to know where I can find docs on this that actually
> tell me how to install the thing?  Sane sure doesn't provide any and neither does HP
> (I've spent the better part of 2 days looking)...
>
> Jonathan Chen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 03:30:56PM -0800, Scott Reese wrote:
> > > I've attached the last 50 lines of the output from the make command.  All of the
> > > modules that were compiled had warnings similar to those seen here.  What should
> > > I do?
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I've just tried compiling SANE, and it has just completed with no errors.
> > This is on a 4.2-STABLE machine, with cvsup'd ports system from just 2
> > days ago. I suggest that you get the latest version of the ports system
> > (with cvsup being the best way) and retry compilation.
> > --
> > Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>

Look at your dmesg output (dmesg | grep pass) there should be a line
referring to your scsi scanner device such as pass1 pass2 etc. Now got
to dir /usr/local/etc/sane.d there should be a file called hp.conf
append the following to the end of the file :
/dev/pass* sane should work now. I would recommend installing xsane or
similiar program to access your device.

Good Luck,

Dave