Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 02:20:30 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        J McKitrick <j_mckitrick@bigfoot.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

> > GPL thing is not as black as it is painted out to be. Also, it's
> > not only software, but in the age of quick and easy digital
> > copying, the whole copyright scheme has to be rethought.
>
> I agree that intellectual property law needs to change; however,
> I do not agree with Stallman that the idea of intellectual
> property as institutionalised in law should therefore be abolished.
>
> > The current situation, of further and stricter controls on digital
> > copying being introduced every year, will work only in a police
> > state.
>
> This is more a RIA thing than anything else.  It's driven by the
> recording industry, who have little understanding for technology
> (witness the fact that an image copy of any "encrypted" DVD will
> work just as well as the original).

Exactly. But who's making these points out loud? I see hardly any
mention of the case at all in the general press, and most of that
is either RIAA/MPAA sympathetic or grossly misinformed; and the
few intelligent comments generally come from the "linux
community". The BSD crowd may be "balanced" but change requires
some level of activism, which I feel RMS, ESR et al are much
better at doing. In fact, if anyone in the general public is
aware of free software as an option, it is because of these
loudmouths; and if sufficient informed opinion is to be built
that the MPAA, RIAA etc start to see reality, or
copyright/patent/IP laws get to be reconsidered, much more work
is needed. I really don't see the more mature and seasoned BSD
crowd talking about it at all. But perhaps it's just that they
don't manage to get quoted in the mainstream media.