Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 12:32:10 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        Alex Varju <alex@varju.bc.ca>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: jpilot-0.99_2

On Sunday 13 May 2001 12:15, Alex Varju wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2001, Michael O'Henly wrote:
> > 1. The first time I ran it, it was using a grey background (which is what
> > I want). The second time, although I didn't select a different
> > background, it switched to a really grotty purple. Each of the provided
> > jpilotrc.[colour] files is displayed in the Prefs menu controlling
> > background colour, so I know jpilot is seeing them -- but I can't switch
> > to anything other than purple!

> > I've tried copying the jpilotrc.[colour] files into my ./jpilot directory
> > and I've tried changing ownership and permissions on these files in the
> > share directory.

> You should be able to go to File -> Preferences -> Settings and choose a
> GTK colors file from the dropdown list.  I would guess that the
> jpilotrc.default colour scheme is what you were using.

Sigh. Of course, this morning it works perfectly. ;-) Honestly, I fiddled
with this for a good forty-five minutes last night and could not change the
background colour...

> > 2.  Installing from the port puts jpilot's files into an odd location:
> > /usr/local/pilot

> > Why would the install not place jpilot's stuff in the existing /usr/local
> > hierarchy? Like so:

> This seems to be the convention for the pilot ports ... they all install
> into /usr/local/pilot.  Maybe somebody else could comment in more detail.

Well, that's interesting. Jpilot is the first palm port I've installed so I
didn't realize that it was the convention. But then I installed pilot-xfer
and it went to the same location.

This does seem odd since it involves creating a number of non-palm-related
directories like /usr/local/pilot/share/emacs/site-lisp, etc., as well as
making it necessary to add /usr/local/pilot/bin to the PATH.

Thank you very much for your reply (and for porting jpilot!)...

M.

--
Michael O'Henly