Date:      12 Feb 2003 08:46:09 -0600
From:      Craig Boston <craig@xfoil.gank.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   dsp "device busy" (me too) vchans weirdness

I remember a couple of posts about this problem; but don't recall (and
am unable to find in the archives) if there was ever any resolution.

Anyway, this just started on a RELENG_5_0 box this morning -- been
working fine up until now.  I noticed that /dev/dsp wasn't being cloned,
so I went about trying individual devices...

$ esd -d /dev/dsp0.1
- using device /dev/dsp0.1
/dev/dsp0.1: Device busy

$ esd -d /dev/dsp0.2
- using device /dev/dsp0.2
/dev/dsp0.2: Device busy

$ fstat /dev/dsp0.0
$ fstat /dev/dsp0.1
$ fstat /dev/dsp0.2

$ cat /dev/dsp0.3
cat: /dev/dsp0.3: Device busy

etc...

I've double checked and there is NOTHING running that's touching any of
the sound devices (which the fstat confirms).  Oddly enough, when I was
randomly 'cat'-ing sound devices, one of them returned "Operation not
supported by device".  It only did this once, and then went back to
"Device busy" every time after that.

$ dmesg | grep pcm

pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> port 0xcc40-0xcc7f,0xc800-0xc8ff irq 10 at
device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: measured ac97 link rate at 55934 Hz

$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> at io 0xc800, 0xcc40 irq 10 bufsz 16384
(1p/1r/4v channels duplex default)

$ sysctl hw.snd
hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.unit: 0
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 0
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize: 16384
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 4
hw.snd.pcm0.ac97rate: 55934

I'm not using maxautovchans because that seems to cause random reboots
on this hardware (happens with two Dell towers, both with the ICH2
chip).

Even weirder still, during the course of writing this mail, dsp0.[1-4]
have spontaneously started working again.  0.0 still reports device
busy, though that may be normal since the vchans are active.  I was
going to try changing the number of vchans to see if it had any effect,
but since it's working for now I'll try that next time it happens.

Craig