Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:00:30 +0000
From:      philipp scherer <scherer@venus.t30.physik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   aic7xxx timeout again

Hi,
perhaps somebody reading this can help me. As I saw,
there are many questions in this mailing list which
describe similar problems as I am experiencing but
not much answers.

My system contains
Asus P2BS (onboard SCSI)  PII/400
IBM 9GB U2W nvld disk
Plextor 32x CDROM
YAMAHA 4416 CDRW (I read about the LUN problem of YAMAHA CRWs)

January 1999 I had problems to install linux as the SUSE bootdisk
did not work. All the timeout and scsi reset problems which have been
described so often. I compiled new kernels (2.0.35 and 2.2.5) with
probe all LUNS disabled and reset time 15 secs and then linux booted
and worked as expected (aicxx7 versions 5.1.2 and 5.1.5 were okay)

Now I want to upgrade to a newer kernel but the correspondingdriver
versions (I tried 5.1.17 - 5.1.20) do not work.
SCSI timeouts and resets when the YAMAHA (SCSI ID 2) is probed

It seems that
only those driver version work which download 407 sequencer commands.

Can anybody tell me what I have to do to get the recent driver version
running or is it possible to use the old 5.1.5 version with a new
kernel ?

Philipp Scherer