Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2011 20:29:32 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why selecting text with mouse often doesn't make the text pasteable with mouse mid-button click?

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 01:28:18PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > >Where are you pasting?  (on another terminal emulator, in an application
> > >running in a terminal emulator, or within another X application)?
> > >

> > Test selected in Konsole I usually paste into Konsole. and it fails
> > maybe in 5-10% of cases.
>
> hmm - no good guesses there.  It could be an overactive Window manager
> grabbing the focus away at the wrong point (it's a nuisance on Mac OS X
> for instance).  If it were a consistent problem with pasting into a
> given application, I had a couple of ideas...
>
> (consistent problems are easier to fix ;-)

Now you mentioned it, I see something similar.
I typically paste from one xterm window to another.
Typically one xterm is the local box and another
xterm is some ssh session.

What I see on amd64 laptop is that pasting with a built-in
mouse stops working after a while. I typically have
a usb mouse as well. Pasting with a usb mouse never fails.

I can copy with a built-in mouse and paste with a usb mouse.
Because in the end I get done what I need, I never
really bothered to think why.

Next time this happens, I'll try to record the
exact details, if you are interested.

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building