Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 02:17:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: oddities with. 2.2.5-R on Toshiba Satellite 105CS

Mike Smith writes:

 > > 1.  My Toshiba Fn-keys don't work.  For example, I normally use Fn-F2 to
 > > cycle through my power saving modes (sometimes even when I"m on battery
 > > power I want to run the machine full-tilt for a small while).  This key
 > > combination does nothing.  Nor does Fn-F3 (change sound volume), or the Fn
 > > key that switches between the internal and external monitor.  In fact,
 > > none of 'em work!
 >
 > This isn't FreeBSD's fault.  Those key combnations are handled by the
 > SMI interrupt handler in the BIOS.  For whatever it's worth, they work
 > just fine on most other Toshiba machines (eg. this here 220CDS).
 >
 > Do you have APM enabled & so forth?  It may be that this interacts on
 > your system.

Hmm.  Most others?  I'm not sure.  I have all the same problems
described by Donald on my Portege 650.

 > > 2.  I have my  BIOS set to turn the screen's power off after 2
 > > minutes of no activity.  This works fine -- if I leave the machine alone
 > > for 2+ minutes, it will turn off the LCD.  But when I press any key (to
 > > reactivate the screen), the screen does not reactivate -- it stays powered
 > > off.  I can still use the system (i.e. if I press backspace I can hear my
 > > bash shell beeping at me, I can type "reboot" and the system reboots
 > > etc.) so it is not completely locked up.
 >
 > Again, that's an SMI issue.
 >
 > > 3.  I tried using the "green" screen saver, and the DPMS (Energy Star)
 > > support in XFree86.  It does not work -- the screen blanks (i.e. it turns
 > > black), but the power to the LCD remains on.  Yes, my LCD display is
 > > Energy Star compliant.

Are you sure that this is so bad?  This is just what I do on my
Toshiba, and although the screen power is still on, I get the
impression that it is not sucking much juice.  (If I run in console
mode instead of X, the battery lasts for hours and hours, so this
would also confirm my suspicion that turning black is saving power.)