Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 14:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DXF?? format disk

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Is it possible to format and use the 2MB format disks (like win95 is
> > > distributed on) in FreeBSD?
> >
> > Probably not, but i don't know which format they are using.  What
> > would we gain from this?  The boot floppy needs to be understood by
> > the BIOS anyway, so it must be 1.44 MB.  But then, we only have one
> > floppy at all. :-)
>
> It's not 2M, it's either two or three more tracks, and it assumes a
> driver that works.  It's about 1.7M instead of 1.44M.
>
> One of the things MS has had to do is make alternate distribution
> media available to people with older floppy drives.
>
> >From what I recall, this was a "save one disk out of every seven"
> strategy, and was intended for distribution media and disk duplication
> cost-cutting, and not much else.
>
> Is your intent the same, or are you just trying to find an OS capable
> of copying the MS disks?  8-).

I just checked... it is almost exactly 2MB (it is 1.95MB, with DOS
overhead, so probably 2MB exact, raw format)

It would be convienient for me for moving data on floppies.  Most of the
images I work on are about 1.5-1.9M, convieniently large enough to not fit
on a single disk.

--
David

PS: I don't have ANY MS products on my computer, it is 100% FreeBSD.