Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:55:15 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Socializing the use of "BSD" as a term

If you're talking to me, please Cc: or To: me.  Otherwise, I'm as
likely to not see your posting as I am to reading it (I don't read the
mails coming through the mailinglists anyway near as carefully as I
read those that come directly).

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 10:28:00PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> > > I wonder what ye all say about starting a socializing process by
> > > which we all refer to FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BSDi, and NetBSD as just
> > > "BSD" except where it is needed to differentiate.
> >
> > I don't think that will work - too many connotations to "BSD",
>
> What's wrong with these?

Nothing is "wrong" with them - I just think they'll hinder effective
replacement of the term '*BSD' with 'BSD'.

> Actually, what connotations did you have in mind?

For me, 'BSD' without any annotations will point my mind at the 4.3
timeframe, CSRG, and their official releases.  Other people have other
associations.  I think this set of associations will make it hard to
get people to switch their terminology.

> > besides which we do not have the trademark.
>
> That concerns official documents.

Mostly.  It would create problems for having an official position of
using 'BSD' to refer to ourselves and all our siblings.

Eivind.