Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 09:45:07 -0500
From:      Daniel Tso <dan@tsolab.org>
To:        Ken Menzel <kenm@icarz.com>
Cc:        Joe Gleason <clash@fireduck.com>, Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, B <brentb@loa.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var drive space problem

> I Agree, with Joe,  but I also want to add I think the root file
> systems is also too small.  The same type of formula could work.  As
> for me I'll continue to set my favorite values for modern drives: 250M
> root,  2*mem swap, 250M /var,  the rest /usr.
> 20M is way too small for modern drives,  but we can't hard code this
> as many people stll are using old hardware to do jobs (such as nat
> boxs and ipfw etc).

Why would you want a 250M root ? I always keep root small, usually the
default 32M or 40M. It limits the possible damage and makes it much
easier to restore.

/tmp does not belong in root, but has its own partition, which can be
200M if you have it.

The root partition should be as static as possible, IMHO.