Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernelbuild "the new way" (Was: APM not even a sign)

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> So what's the downside of using the "new way" to rebuild a kernel on
> an existing system who hasn't had its source upgraded since the last
> build?
>
> That's been what I've always done - relatively new FreeBSD user that
> I am (since 4.1).  Any reason not to do it that way?

There is no down side; on a system in which the sources for the base
system have been built and installed (i.e., installworld has been done)
they are equivalent.  The kernel will end up (before it's installed) in
the /usr/obj hierarchy, however, just in case you want to build one and
not install it (e.g., building a kernel.GENERIC).

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC