Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 20:40:27 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Rich Winkel <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd FS i/o blocksize?

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 12:15:39PM -0500, Rich Winkel <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu> wrote:

> > The maximum is 64KB for one transaction if I can recall some of the
> > Greg Lehey's messages.  The usual is around 8KB per transaction. I can
> > be wrong, I'm not expert by any means.
>
> Thanks!! So it fluctuates even within a single filesystem?
> Or are you talking about swap as well?

Better don't ask me, here's something from the vinum(8) manpage:

<snip>

The FreeBSD block I/O system issues requests of between .5kB and 60
kB; a typical mix is somewhere round 8 kB.  You can't stop any
striping system from breaking a request into two physical requests,
and if you do it wrong it can be broken into several.  This will
result in a significant drop in performance: the decrease in transfer
time per disk is offset by the order of magnitude greater increase in
latency.

<snip>

For swap I don't know, I guess it uses raw disk partition(s) and
doesn't have filesystem, althought it must have some system to track
the data on the swap partition(s).  It's all beyond my knowledge and
I'm not interested digging into low-level system internals.  Not my
way :-|
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee