Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 05:47:10 +0200
From:      "Ronny Jordalen" <Ronny.Jordalen@econ.uib.no>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LS 120

Hi

I just recently bought a new machine, and decided to go for the new LS 120
drive, that supports both standard floppy disks and a 120 meg disk.

However, there are problems. Although I'm able to make the boot.flp for
FreeBSD, the drive is unable to read it beyond the BOOT: stage. This is
also true for Linux: I'm able to create both disks (boot and root), but the
drive isn't able to read the root disk. I've tested the disks on another
computer, and there they work flawlessly. Main board (Asus TX97-E) is
supposed to support this device, and after upgrading to bios v1.07 it's now
possible to boot from the LS-120 drive. The drive seems to be working
allright under Windows, though I haven't tested it thoroughly.

I was wondering if ppl have had similar experiences with this drive, or if
it's a local problem? Has anyone been able to install FreeBSD from such a
drive (and the 2.2.2 cd?). One might wonder if I wouldn't have been better
of with a standard floppy drive and instead add a zip-drive? Well, my
mistake :-)

--Ronny